Sunday, July 29, 2012

a moab adventure

So this past week my family and I took a quick trip to Moab. 
Which side note.. I fell absolutely in love with. 
Too bad it is so stinking hot there. 
We did several hikes, and had so much fun.
One of the hikes we wanted to do was Delicate Arch, which if you didn't know, is the arch on the Utah license plates.
My mom read the packet they gave us upon entering the park and looked for delicate arch..
She read aloud "10 to 15 minutes roundtrip"
I was stoked, because it was over 100 degrees, and I was so over the heat and blisters.
We arrived and when I got out of the car I didn't mind grabbing my water bottle because it wasn't going to take us that long.
Well, come to find out.. she read the wrong thing. 
The hike is can range from 1-2 hours. 
That would have been fine if I had water, and it wasn't so stinking hot!
My mom was complaining, my dad went ahead, and I was getting irritated. 
I sped up and was hiking by myself for awhile..
Most of my thoughts were negative, and I was just over it. 
I kept thinking.. "really... you can't just get one of those bomb things and blow out these rocks, so we can just see it from our air conditioned cars?" or "seriously the next person that walks past me is going to have their stupid water bottle stolen." or... "I'm about to start going in my bra and underwear before I have a heat stroke" hahaha I was sooo done. 

I'm such an idiot.
When we made it there, I had fallen in love.
It was worth it.
Worth the sweat, the groups of Asians tourists taking pictures of me, worth the heat, the dry throat, the blisters, everything.
I honestly don't believe I would have felt the way I did about that arch if it wasn't for the path getting there. It suddenly became humorous that my mom told us it would be 10-15 minutes round trip. 

That is one of the most beautiful things in life; how worth it is. How worth it is to struggle, and want to give up along the way. But as you arrive to your destination, everything becomes beautiful. You can't wipe the smile off your face. It's about the hard work, the sweat, tears, dry throat, everything.. that's what makes it worth it. I'm proud of myself. I also rewarded myself with three water bottles... which by the way is one of the dumbest things you can do. I had to pee.. SO bad, and we were in the middle of nowhere. awesome. 

But, here's some pictures from the hike.
This is laying under the arch. Love!


So if you ever go hike delicate arch.. take a water bottle.. and don't complain.. 
It is worth every step of the way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment