Thursday, April 26, 2012

words I never wanted to hear.


Yesterday as I was driving home from work, 
I was belting John Mayer like usual with my windows rolled down.
I thought to myself how content I was.
I turned the corner and saw someone that means a lot to me in the front yard.
I waved but once I got out of the car thought I should run over and say hi..
He seemed happy that I came over, and we started talking about college.
He asked me what I was going to study, and I explained a couple of my options and then told him that I will definitely minor in dance.
He looked at me, confused, and asked why.
He explained that it wouldn't get me anywhere. 
It would be a "waste of time and money"
It won't benefit me or my future family.
Defeated, I ended the conversation and turned to head home.
He didn't think twice about what he said. 
With tears in my eye I walked into my house and bursted into tears while heading down my stairs.
As I sat on my bed and thought about what he had said, and what I've been told my whole life,
I felt completely worthless. 
Something that is meaningful to me.
Something that I have worked for since I was little.
a "waste of time and money"? 
no.
It took me a minute to shake it off, because it came from someone that means so much to me..
but I had heard enough.
Doing what you love is never a waste..
Doing what you have set your head and your heart on will take you as far as you want to go.
All I could do was remember how much I love him,
but remember how much I want to live my life.
Nobody else's. 
I'll prove them wrong,
I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment