Friday, August 30, 2013

people.

I've been thinking a lot about people lately. I've thought of all the important people in my life that I don't get to hear from often enough, and the ones that I miss with all my heart. One common thing I see in my life is that people come into my life for a number of different lengths.. but more often than not, the most influential people are the ones that are in my life for the shortest amount of time. I think of my project directors, the other volunteers, my kids, and Sor Cristina.. and realize that they were only in my life for 3 months. 3 months that flashed before my eyes. 3 months that I will cherish for the rest of my life.  The people I  met in Quito taught me more than I could have ever perceived they would. They were and still are my strength. I think about how silly it is that I only knew them for 3 months but they have added something to my heart and soul that makes me, ME. I think of the friends that I've met that I became close to instantly, that I haven't seen in over a year. Reminiscing on the long talks and memories I've made with them.. that have changed me. I relive the conversations my relative Charlotte and I have had. I've only seen her a couple times in my life.. but she has impacted me more than several of my friends I've known my whole life, have. She has helped me see a part of myself that I was too scared to ever search for. She is someone who reached for my hand, and touched my heart instead. 

Even though you miss them and it hurts that someone so thoughtful could only be in your life for a short while.. they change you. You can influence people far beyond the time you spend together. I'm so grateful for the friendships, and influential people my life has been blessed with. I'm grateful for the old souls I've encountered. I'm grateful for the people that reach past themselves, and touch others lives. I'm grateful to have so many unique people in my life... even when they only come in for a short while. 

No comments:

Post a Comment